lunes, 4 de abril de 2022

The beauty of the Dark Academia

DARK ACADEMIA




Dark academia is a social media aesthetic and subculture concerned with higher educationwriting/poetrythe arts, and classic Greek and Gothic architecture. The subculture is associated with ancient art and classic literature.


This subculture/aesthetic starts with Donna Tartt's novel The Secret History, published in 1992 and which tells the story of a murder that takes place within a group of classics students at an elite New England college, has been credited as being the inspiration for the dark academia literary genre. In 2015, the genre began to grow into an aesthetic on the social media site Tumblr, with the creation of a book club that centered around classic and gothic novels. The aesthetic then grew into a distinct subculture, seeing a wave of popularisation on Instagram led by Ryan Taylor and Maria Teresa Negro in 2017.

A rise in popularity of dark academia during the COVID-19 pandemic has been credited to the shutdown of schools.

But, to be honest, nobody seems to have an exact answer here. Some describe it as an academic aesthetic, another description suggests that it’s a book that features an academic setting, another description focuses on its themes: a focus on the pursuit of knowledge, and an exploration of death and morbidity.


So, dark academia as a sub-genre is no
t necessarily limited to a specific genre. And as an aesthetic is wide open to many things such as


  • activities
  • architecture
  • fashion
  • Tend to romanticize the finding of beauty and poetry in dark themes.





As you can see, Dark academia includes many things that can't be explained in just one page.

what do you know about dark academia? or is this the first time you hear about this subculture? Let me know in the comments


thanks for reading, see you next time. Ily <3 

(I'll leave you a video below)



11 comentarios:

  1. It is the first time i read something about this culture
    -Ale Barrera

    ResponderBorrar
  2. I really like this type of style, i have recreated on my outfits and i think it looks amazing, so this types of blogs helps me a lot about the history behind this style.

    ResponderBorrar
  3. PD: it's not the first time i heard about it, actually i search a lot about this

    ResponderBorrar
  4. I had already heard it, but I didn't know what it was like

    ResponderBorrar
  5. El texto me gusto mucho ya que me ayudo a conocer mas sobre dark academia, una estética que no conocía y que realmente es muy interesante y atractiva.
    -externo a la UVAQ

    ResponderBorrar
  6. Esta estética (principalmente su arte) es muy agradable para el ojo humano, pues tiene colores apagados, es algo que debe de ser más tomado en cuenta para cualquier tipo de persona
    -Externo a la UVAQ

    ResponderBorrar
  7. It's the first time I've heard of this topic, but I find it interesting

    ResponderBorrar

  8. Hey Isa! Omg, I absolutely LOVE dark academia aesthetic! I did have know about this subculture, but nos as much as I learned today. I think is such a beautiful way to express feelings and acknowledgement.

    ResponderBorrar
  9. This is the first time that I read about dark academia, but previously I had already heard a little about it and thanks to this article it made me want to know more about it. :)

    ResponderBorrar
  10. I love this kind of style, It remainds me of Harry Potter :)

    ResponderBorrar